I’ve had celery root soup in restaurants but never made it at home. It’s worth it! It’s an odd looking vegetable but once you cut in the celery smell is inescapable. It’s in season now.
It’s knobby on the outside but a quick peal will do the trick.Shallots and leeks will add some depth.It’s white but potent.Simmer till soft.Top with Chervil. If you have never had Chervil think of it as a more delicate Parsley. It’s excellent with this soup.
– 4 Large Celery Roots (Celeriac)
– 4 Shallots
– 4 Leeks
– 6 to 8 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (you just want enough to cover the vegetables)
– 2 tsp. White Pepper
– 2 Tbsp. Herbs de Provence
– 2 Glugs olive oil
– Chopped Chervil to top
– Fresh Pepper to taste
1) Wash celery root and peel. Cut into pieces approximately 1 x 1 inches.
2) Wash leeks. Remove green portion and chop fleshy white portion. Place in large dutch oven.
3) Remove skin from shallots and chop. Place in large dutch oven.
4) Sauté leeks, shallots, salt and olive oil for approximately 6 minutes. Add white pepper to end.
5) Add chopped celery root to dutch oven. Sauté for 5 additional minutes. Then add chicken broth–just enough to cover all vegetables.
6) Cook till Celery Root is soft, approximately 30 minutes.
7) Blend with an immersion blender or food processor. Serve with fresh diced chervil and black pepper.
8) If you have extra freeze it and serve again.