This salad is one of my go-to’s. It’s a quick dish to share that’s simple and special. The fresher the romaine the better and don’t worry about that egg yolk.
I used baby romaine hearts here but regular romaine hearts will work just the same. Most important, don’t overcook the lettuce.Mix the vinaigrette well along with the yolk and mint.Best part about this is the whole seed mustard made by American Spoon–get it here.Enjoy.
– 3 Baby Romaine Hearts (Or 2 Large Romaine Hearts)
– 1 Handful of Fresh Mint (About 10 sprigs)
– 1 Fresh Egg Yolk
– 3 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
– 2 Tbsp. Strong Mustard
– 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1) Wash lettuce hearts and cut into half lengthwise. If your romaine is on the large size, cut again lengthwise so that you have quarters of romaine hearts. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2) Wash mint and remove leaves. Then chop mint and place into mixing bowl. Add mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil to chopped mint. Add the egg yolk.
3) Beat the vinaigrette with a fork or whisk till ingredients are properly mixed. You want it mixed well.
4) Place romaine onto a hot grill, grill pan, cast iron or panini press. I do not recommend cooking this in a normal pan because the lettuce will get soggy. You want the heat to be very hot and to quickly sear the lettuce. Cook for 1 minute per side.
* I personally use a panini press. It’s by far the easiest and it leaves that quick sear on both sides simultaneously.
5) Drizzle vinaigrette over just cooked lettuce. Sprinkle with fresh pepper and serve.