I’ve been seeing Avocado Toast all over so I felt obliged to reproduce it here. I was a skeptic but it’s worth the hype. This is a very easy breakfast or snack that’s fresh, filling and healthy. The limequats are a crossbreed of Key Lime and Kumquat–if you can’t find them use a lime and another citrus like grapefruit or orange. Most importantly, the bread will make this dish–I used a dense seeded whole wheat loaf to make it more nutritious.
Limequats add great flavor that’s both tart and sweet–use the juice and the skin. If you can find different types of avocados they will brighten the dish–here I used Pinkerton, Bacon, and Haas varieties. Let the zest and chili peppers do the work. Serve on toasted bread and get your daily dose of avocado.
– 2 Avocados
– 4 Slices Whole Wheat bread
– 4 Limequats for juice and zest (or a lime + orange, grapefruit, or tangerine)
– 1 tsp. Chile Powder
– 1/2 tsp. Paprika
– 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
– Dash of Sea Salt
1) Cut four slices of bread and place to the side. Then cut avocados in half and remove the pits.
2) Begin to toast bread to your personal taste–I like the bread pretty crisp for this as the avocado is so creamy.
3) Once bread is toasted scoop avocado onto the toast–use roughly half an avocado per slice. Then, zest limequats over the avocado–one per slice.
4) Squeeze limequat juice over avocado. Then top each slice in equal amounts with chile powder, cayenne pepper and paprika. Top with a dash of sea salt. If you want yours more spicy add extra cayenne.
***** If you are using a lime + another citrus, zest the whole lime and use its juice along with just a bit of the other citrus for zest and juice.