Lobster rolls are a top-five favorite food for me. I could eat them every day if I could afford it. I love them prepared all sorts of ways, but this is the way I like to do them at home: olive oil instead of mayo, served cold, with avocado and a brioche hot dog bun. Enjoy these along with the garlic butter for a decadent meal.
Place the lobsters in the freezer for 15 minutes before boiling them–it will stun them and you’ll end up with better meat.Place them immediately into an ice bath once done cooking. Add some celery, green onions, shallots and parsley to the mix–let the lobster salad cool in the fridge for an hour before serving to let the flavors set in.Drizzle with garlic butter and serve on a toasted bun.
– 3 Lobsters (1.5-2 Lbs. each)
– 4 Buns (I used a Brioche Hot Dog Bun)
– 1 Bunch Green Onions
– 1 Bunch Parsley
– 1 Large Shallot
– 4 Celery Hearts
– Olive Oil
– 2 Lemons
– 1 Avocado
– Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
– 1 Garlic Bulb
– 5 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sea salt. Drop lobsters into the boiling water. If you can’t fit them all in a way that covers them with water completely, then cook in batches. Cook lobsters on high heat for approximately 12 minutes.
2) Once lobsters are cooked, immediately place them in an ice bath and let rest for 10 minutes. Then remove and let dry. The flesh inside of the tail should be opaque.
3) Remove tail and claws from their shell and place in a large mixing bowl. Use a knife, butcher’s scissor, or lobster cracker to remove the meat from the shells.
4) Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, juice of one lemon, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper to lobster and mix. Let rest.
5) Dice shallot and add to the lobster meat. Wash celery, green onions and parsley. Let dry, then chop, and add to the lobster meat. Toss all ingredients together to mix well.
6) Cut an avocado in half, remove the pit, and remove the flesh so that it is in small pieces. Add to the lobster mix and top with juice of another lemon. Then mix well and place in refrigerator in a glass container or covered in plastic wrap. Let cool for 1 hour.
7) Remove 8 cloves of garlic from the bulb and remove their skins. Cut off the ends and gently smash, and place into a pan. Then add unsalted butter and melt. Cook butter along with garlic on low heat for 15 minutes–be careful not to burn the butter. Once cooked, pour into a glass container and let sit.
8) Toast buns (I recommend something along the lines of a hot dog bun or bread with a soft center). Scoop lobster into each bun and spoon warm garlic butter over the lobster.