I love the mix of greens with a little spice. Here I used spring broccoli but any green like rapini will work the same. This is another simple healthy dish packed with flavor. Trust the anchovies, they will bring a great savory note.
Use all the leaves, they are my favorite part. The anchovies will begin to disintegrate after a couple of minutes of cooking–they are packed with flavor. Finish it off with fresh lemon juice.This is also great served cold so make enough for leftovers.
– 1 1/2 Lbs. Spring Broccoli (Or similar leafy green vegetable)
– 1 Lemon (For zest and juice)
– 3 Anchovies (Packed in olive oil or salt)
– 3 Italian Chiles (Packed in olive oil or substitute with 1 1/2 tsp. red chile flakes)
– 3 Tbsp. Low sodium chicken broth
– Olive Oil
– Sea Salt & Black Pepper
1) Wash Spring Broccoli, or similar green such as Chinese broccoli, and dry. Roughly chop into pieces. Place to the side. Zest one lemon, save flesh for juicing.
2) Pour 2 Tbsp. olive oil into a medium sized french oven or braiser. Heat on medium-high. Add anchovies and chili peppers or chile flakes.
3) Cook anchovies and chiles until anchovies begin to dissolve stirring constantly, approximately 2 minutes. Then add chicken broth and mix well.
4) Once chicken broth begins to steam add spring broccoli. Then add lemon zest, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. Mix all ingredients in pot well. Stir occasionally–when not stirring keep the lid on leaving a small portion open to let some steam release. Cook for approximately 8 minutes. You want the greens to become tender but still retain their crisp.
5) Place in serving bowl. Squeeze juice of lemon over broccoli and toss. Top with fresh black pepper.